FFVIII - Worth Getting?

yes this is one of the best in my opinion I find the junction system very helpful when defending in some cases my enemies heal me :). The weapons look fantastic, I'm a huge gunblade fan, I also think the GF hp system is a good change from VII on VII you just needed MP to summon but on VIII if your GF gets KO'd you have to revive it. this makes the gam a bit more 'interesting' (challenging).

HELL YEA!!

It's one of the best FFs but if you didn't deal with the junction system good you'll end up hating the game.

Anyway it have a great story line with awesome Characters and great world map but it have too many summons like Cerberus you can put magic instead of him and I liked Diablos idea when you take him out of the lamb but it's a little weak.

Yea the game is great.

This game is the weakest out of all 7-10......But still a very awesome game and I recommend it to anybody.

Omg, another thread I can't believe I overlooked o_O

FFVIII is definately worth getting, once you have gotten past the joy that is stocking 99 of every magic & figuring the junction system out it's a fantastic little game. Another one of my all time favourites

It's such a glorious little love story, I'm probably one of the few that actually enjoyed the constant rescuing of Rinoa. I have probably replayed this game more than VII & thats my all time favourite. The music was fabulous and all the areas where just glorious!

I loved all the GF abilities The card game was addictive. I sat and played that for hours at a time without even realising >_< for some reason I just loved collecting cards and refining things all the time lol

This is an awesome game, although the pathetic character backstory's, sudden inconclusive ending and crudtacular "Draw system" may cause annoyance.

I'm bias 'cause Squall's my favourite Final Fantasy male character, but I really did enjoy the game.

A storyline around the concept of time is always a little difficult to understand, but it's definitely interesting nonetheless.

FFVIII does have a feeling of completeness to it, so you can play it and feel satisfied with the storyline.

The story begins again and again for different realities, but for it does finish for yours.

in-VINCE-able, please put more thought into your posts in future. Quantity isn't everything, but don't just post a couple of words.

Replyyyyyyyyyy

I dno i just bought this game and i borrowed it a while back and i got pretty far and it was good. I think it just takes time to get used to it but man that same song in balamb garden OMGGGGGGGG !

This has got to be the best game in the final fantasy franchise. I mean...seriously it really is.

I got my girlfriend into this game with the love story between Squall and Rinoa. And she HATES videogames! So if it can convince her into loving the game, then that must mean its a pretty damn good game.

I dno i just bought this game and i borrowed it a while back and i got pretty far and it was good. I think it just takes time to get used to it but man that same song in balamb garden OMGGGGGGGG !

If you've played previous Final Fantasy games, yeah it'll take a little time to get used to. Once you understand key dynamics of the game, (like keeping your level down instead of running around to fight monsters to increase your level) and clear the wordiness of the Junction Battle System to 'simply putting magic to increase statistics', odds are you'll be ready to kick-butt at FFVIII.
The characters are in their teens, so expect their personalities as such.
The main plot line is a love story, not saving the world.
So if something like all that suits you, go for it.
:neomon:

I think FFVIII is a tricky one in the saga, and I've gone through phases of what I think of it. Initially, the game gives a very good first impression (opening sequence, SeeD mission, its all so exciting) but by the time you're playing the second time, it loses something. The locations (and the music to go with it) and the characters don't have the same nostalgic value that those in FFVI and FFVII do.

By the time you're on your third way through, you should have learned how to manipulate and exploit the junction system, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what type of player you are.

Either way, I reckon it's a great game to play, and if you're a big FF fan, it's up there with the absolute essential must-play games.

Seriously, it is my all time 2nd fave FF, and after Ive finished XII, and started another XII file (haha), Im so starting another file on this. I was hooked man, though the main cast plus some other minor characters were like...eheh, not to my taste. Plus, the main cast were the most boring (background based) people Id seen. Look past though, and you can so set yourself a challenge if you level up to level 100 with Squall and take on Omega Weapon - which I did. I defeated OW too, but it was haaaaaaard D;

Yes definitely worth getting, I still remember see the intro for the first time and being blown away... I picked up my copy from Electronics Boutique on its midnight release :) Great game although it did start off a little slow and at first I hated having to run around the garden so much lol but totally worth it. I'd put it 3rd/4th in the rankings but it's all personal opinion and still a MUST have game.

Final Fantasy VIII is definitely a game worth getting, the only Final Fantasy game I might not say is worth your money is FFIX, that one I found disappointing.

But anyways, FFVIII is an excellent game, with a fantastic soundtrack, and significantly improved graphics over FFVII, really quite impressive for a PS1 game.

The characters are also interesting, though I like it when a Final Fantasy game has a unique, non humanoid character in the mix, but I overlook that, the characters are cool, and there's lots of cool monsters.

The graphics are good, the storyline is good, and the gameplay is excellent, the battles are very enjoyable, I love watching Squall's Lionheart Limit Break, it's some work of art.

ssbmaster said:
the only Final Fantasy game I might not say is worth your money is FFIX, that one I found disappointing.
=(
To think i actually found that to be one of the best game i ever played....
(Mainly music-wise)

Well, i think Final Fantasy VIII is truly worth getting. Music is one definite factor. Graphics-wise, do not expect too much, but don't take it too lightly either, for the PS1, i think this is quite impressive graphics....
Gameplay remains as interesting as ever. Be prepared to get drawn into the storyline man!

Sorry, but I just don't know about FFIX, it just felt like a different game, all that thievery and knight stuff put together, all felt a bit out of place.

I played it a lot though, got through the game and completed any Chocobo related stuff, etc.

The next game though, FFX, didn't disappoint, really increased my enjoyment of the game with it having voices, it added a lot to it, and I enjoy defeating Nemesis.

That thing has many millions of HP, one time, I casted Regen on it to see how much HP it would recover, and sometimes it recovers well over 200000 HP (yes, 6 numbers).

Anyways, sorry for going off topic a for a bit... Once again, I say FFVIII is definitely worth buying, it is my second favourite Final Fantasy game, and I'm positive it'd be one of your favourite games too.

I say it's definitely worth getting for a playthrough. Sure it was not my favorite game or even close to it, but the game overall was an adventure in itself and expanded my experience in the FF series.

I wasn't too keen on the characters and even the story as a whole with the bosses you went up against. The backstories of the bosses sort of pissed me off, but once you understood the backgrounds of the main characters, a little more of the story made sense. The Junctioning system was criticized in this game, but it was cool for a one-time use in the series. It's cool trying out new stuff.

You'll either love it or hate it, but if you're an FF fan who needs a game to fill the void, give FFVIII a shot. I doubt you'll regret it.

best final fantasy game by far 9.9/10 , .1 point off for not being able to skip the GF summon scenes,after the 50th time it gets anoying so i never used any gfs latter on

Back