FFVIII - Worth Getting?

it's also not worth getting if you like sidequests =/ you need the pocket playstation (or something) to play a chocobo sidequest. And you can get really powerful characters early if you junction the right magic, so its not worth getting if you like a challenge.

AG, what amazing sidequests does FFVII have to offer? VIII has plenty, while FFVII..I don't know how many, but not as many as VIII's that's for sure. This game has a great soundtrack too, if I haven't already mentioned that.

I say it worth getting this game. This was my first Final Fantasy, so it always has a little special place in my heart. ^_^

Although the junction system makes the game easy, it is still a unique system. Junction system is probably one of my favorite magic system in the series.

FFVIII had an advanced card game, which makes up for the lack of decent side quests.

I'm not much of a graphics fan, but FFVIII for it's time it had beautiful graphics.

The storyline and the characters were a little weak. -_-

well all FFXIIs sidequests are just catching Espers and doing hunts which get boring after a while.

lawl. Not all of them...just about 95% of them <.<

Anyway, i had this game a few years back, got frustrated with the junctioning system and sold it. But lately i've been debating whether or not to buy it, and given that it has more positive reviews then negative here, i'll give it another go....plus i still have the Brady Games guide for it since EB Games wouldn't let me sell it back, so might as well put it to use.

Now...the only hard part is deciding if i should go ahead and buy it now because i'm impatient, or finish XII and just ask for it for my birthday next month...

Anyway, i had this game a few years back, got frustrated with the junctioning system and sold it.

Actually, you can have the game automatically junction magic for you. The game gives three auto-junction options: you can focus on boosting Attack, Defense, or Magic. Attack will put priority on physical offense, Defense will put priority on HP and phys def, and Magic will prioritize magical off and def.

So really, as long as you find the option to auto-junction your spells, you don't have to worry about learning a thing about junctions.

Sadly enough, most people get so boggled by the junction explanation that Quistis gives that they totally miss the part where she shows the user friendly auto-junction function and that's where people complain about junctioning being too difficult.

So yeah, totally get the game again. If you decide you still hate junctioning, then just auto-junction and find something you do like.

Sadly enough, most people get so boggled by the junction explanation that Quistis gives that they totally miss the part where she shows the user friendly auto-junction function and that's where people complain about junctioning being too difficult.

So yeah, totally get the game again. If you decide you still hate junctioning, then just auto-junction and find something you do like.

That was me...i had no idea there was an auto-junction -__-;

I may try that if i cant get it...although i would like to figure it out for myself. So yeah, i'm gonna get VIII...still dunno if i'll buy it myself or wait for my birthday, but either way i'll have it within a month.

Yep, I totally ignored junctioning on my first playthrough (well, I kinda tinkered with it a little), and consequently got stuck somewhere on the third disc.

But I know the system well now, FFVIII being my favorite game, and it does make the game rather easy if you know how to work it.

Okay, okay...believe it or not, I do like Final Fantasy VIII. I spend a lot of time down-talking the game, but there are a few aspects here and there that I did enjoy. In fact, I like this game enough to have dished out $45 dollars for a new copy just a few months back. So even though I dog on it, I have to say, it's a must have for your FF collection.

The game was a good follow up from FFVII, so if VII was your introduction to the series, then you'll already have a feel for an industrial and realistic setting. I don't think that FFVIII is a cliche addition to the series; it's kind of...off beat. The game combined a heavy fantasy aspect with a heavy sci-fi setting. The result was...well...questionable. It came out as one of those "love it or hate it" games.

There are probably more cons than pros in this game; but that's only in my opinion. But worry not; the overabundance of cons shouldn't a big enough deal to put you off from the game all together.

Characters and Plot
I'd say it takes place in a more futuristic setting. There just aren't very many imaginative perks. The characters are certainly very bland; which I would say is the biggest downfall to the game...poor character development. The main character, incidentally, has the mopiest, most self-absorbed, grumpy personality that I have ever seen in the series to date.
The plot, as I said, takes place in a futuristic atmosphere. The plot entails several exciting aspects such as time travel, space travel, and "otherworldly" presences. Don't get your panties twisted though...it sounds very exciting, but...it's just a part of the story. You don't actually get to travel through space and time of your own accord.

Romance
The romance that took place in FFVIII was just too corny. You'd find a more mature love story in FFIX, where the characters are even younger than the cast of FFVIII, yet more cultivated and refined. It goes without saying that Squall and Rinoa are the romantic object in the game. How cheesy is it though? According to my game-play experience, I felt as if the two of them were chasing after one another like horny dogs throughout the majority of the plot. Their romance really gets in the way of what could have been a tremendously amazing story.

Magic
The magic system is very generic; magic isn't ~*magic*~...it's something that you refine from the earth. That's one con...but fortunately, the magic system has a very BIG pro-side. FFVIII introduced the first "draw system". As I mentioned, you can draw magic from your enemies and from certain locations and allot it to your party's physical attributes. It's fairly intriguing if you ask me, but...it makes the game a little bit too easy once you develop a good understanding of the system.

Gameplay and graphics
Graphics: 9/10
FFVIII took a big turn in terms of realism. There's no need to explain it's epic proportions according to it's release date.
The gameplay is incredibly easy. Of course, FFVIII plays just like the majority of other FF games. The game is very easy to navigate, and it even includes several tutorials under the camp screen which train you on how to utilize the game's functions. FFVIII's gameplay was pumped up to a new level with introductions such as the Draw and Junction system, and the item refinement ability. The draw system allows you to allot magic to your physical attributes, and the Junction segment allows you to allot summon monsters to your characters. The item refinement was a personal favorite of mine; it allowed you to collect various items and materials and refine them into magic, and rare collectibles.

Overall, I give the game a 7/10. I do say it's worth the buy, just for the heck of having it.

This is actually my favourite FF game. I do agree that it has “a heavy fantasy aspect with a heavy sci-fi setting” but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I’ll admit I disliked it at first. I found the first couple of hours rather dull and uneventful, which wasn’t good since it was my introduction to Final Fantasy. It was only after playing some of X, X-2, I, II, IX and VII (in that order) that I decided to try it out further. Then I became totally engaged in it!

Plot

I actually really enjoyed it. I felt it had a lot of meaning to it and a few plot twists that I didn’t expect. It didn’t drag on at all, and every addition was clever and well formed. I felt each moment was carefully planned by the producers, and told to perfection. It has to be one of my favourite stories of all time! Full of love, hate, deception, horror, fear, wonder, corruption and pasts that affect every character, it’s one I don’t think anyone should miss.
The side story with Laguna was interesting too, and offered a break from the main plot. At first, I disliked these gaps, but after a while I grew to love Laguna as a character too. So much sweeter than Squall, too. And funnier.

Characters

Despite what people say, I found them all to be rather compelling and unique. Squall was a little moody at first, but as the story progresses you come to learn and appreciate why. Squall had a past that shaped his behaviour in the future. A past that caused him to shroud his heart in ice. I think the whole charm of the story is that Rinoa is able to melt this wall of ice. It's great to see Squall's change. We get to learn of the true person within. The person whom has been kept hidden for safety and to prevent hurt.
Rinoa was a good character too, though a little naïve than the other characters. Some call her spoilt, but I wouldn’t agree with this. I felt she’d been shut out and kept away from everything, over-protected, but not spoilt. Attention seeking, yes, but it was in a more playful way than a spoilt way.
Zell was quite fun to watch, and had some great lines. Quistis was deep and thoughtful, and Selphie was bouncy and somewhat like Rikku from Final Fantasy X. Irvine was good too, and a tiny bit like Zidane what with the flirting. xP

Romance
Maybe it was corny, but I loved it nonetheless. Rinoa did seem to be chasing after Squall throughout the game, but I can’t say I felt the same way about Squall. I thought it developed nicely, and didn’t come on too fast. While some feel that Squall’s feeling changed too fast, I wouldn’t say this is so. I felt he was bottling up his feelings for a long time until he could not hold them back. There’s one scene which is really adorable, but I won’t ruin it. I’ll just say it’s long and includes a lot of walking. xP
Laguna had his own romantic story to tell, too, which was rather sweet. Eyes on Me, the vocal theme, was based around Laguna and his times watching a woman called Julia. The romantic plot here is rather important when learning about the parents of both Squall and Rinoa.

Music
I think FFVIII’s soundtrack is one of the best. There are so many varying moods and atmospheres expressed through the instrumental pieces composed by the one and only Nobuo Uematsu. The music is truly meaningful when you get into the story and listening to it brings back a lot of fond memories. The vocal piece, Eyes On Me, is also well sung and linked to Laguna, as I stated above. I suppose that’s an important note to make, since I used to wonder why it was in the game at all.

Graphics
Considering its time, these were exceptional. Even now, the FMVs are pretty amazing. The FMVs are almost as good as they are today, I’d say. The in-game graphics weren’t flawless, of course, but the proportions were pretty good. The Gfs were more well done than the characters, I felt. The scenery was generally good, but remember it’s only PS1. Don’t expect anything like we have today. =]

Gameplay
Somewhat easier than in the other Final Fantasys. Levelling up was extremely easy, unless you ended up with Squall at 50 and the others at 25-40. The enemies levelled up along with Squall which means it is possible to get to a higher level before even progressing far through Disk 1, though it does make some later battles near to impossible I’ve heard.
Juncitioning magic made some battling quite easy and simple, though the whole method of drawing and casting felt somewhat flawed. Gfs are quite useful in battle, and eventually can even decide between victory and defeat. Exploring and getting from one place to the other was, at times, somewhat tedious with the amount of random battles, but that’s all over once you get the Ragnorak!! Ooh, awesome ship. Very fast, too. =]

Last edited:
it's also not worth getting if you like sidequests =/ you need the pocket playstation (or something) to play a chocobo sidequest. And you can get really powerful characters early if you junction the right magic, so its not worth getting if you like a challenge.

Don't forget, there's always Omega and Ultima, AG. That doesn't make the entire game a breeze, now does it? There's also enemies that cast status ailments, too. I have all the best magicks junctioned to my characters and still get killed by Malboros every now and then.

The only thing challenging about it is getting spells and learning abilities. I mean, really. Once you get the Siren and have her learn Life magic refine, you can refine TENTS, TENTS FFS for Curagas. XD

Tents are only... I think 1000 gil a pop. That's a mighty good deal for 20 Curagas that early in the game considering that it gives you about 2000 some more health when you junction 100 of them to your HP. ;)

And yes, the pocketstation is a letdown. It has secret GFs in that sidequest, from what I've read. :\

But if there's anything AG likes about the game, it's probably the music. The music in this game was a freaking blessing. I loved all the music and I have a hard time choosing between FFVIII's OSTs and FFX's OSTs.

The graphics for it's time were amazing. 8D

One of my favorite vids was the one in which Squall was running from the Machine Spider thingiemacrapper and Quistis just gets the ships Machine gun and goes *insert machine gun sound here* and blows up that ugly motherfucker. I was amazed that it had been made after FFVIII. 8D

The opening sequence for FFVIII was also amazing. For me, it can compare with FFX's opening sequence to a point. 8)

No way. I'd take Blitzball over some boring little battle and a field of flowers. :( (this is concerning the opening videos..)

I preferred VIIIs opening, myself. Breathtaking. Other great FMVs would be The Dance (both parts), Rinoa on the Balcony, Squall Saves Rinoa, Rinoa in Space, Squall Frees Rinoa, Rinoa Finds Squall and The Ending. =]

My favourite non FMV has to be the scene in the Ragnorak where Eyes on Me plays! I even plugged my PS1 (I have a PS1 and PS2) into the P.C. to record that scene on my computer. xP

Last edited:
Yeah, even though FFVIII is my favorite of the bunch, I seem to be one of the few people who didn't absolutely love the opening, especially the way it was montaged with later FMVs in the game.

I agree with eisprinz. =\
FFVIII's intro was such a horrible spoiler for later events. It would have been better if Squall and Rinoa's (cheesy) romance was a surprise, and not an instant giveaway. The intro also gave away the bad guys (Edea and Seifer) right off the bat. So basically you start playing the game, and you're thinking "when is the witch lady going to come out" and "when do Squall and Rinoa fall in love?"

In the other games, it was all a matter of surprise.

Ah, Rhea, I can see your point. I guess I don't mind spoilers, though. But I can see why those who want surprise would have felt annoyed. I myself felt it was a more artistic opening, and it could have been used as a trailer. xD

I agree with eisprinz. =\
FFVIII's intro was such a horrible spoiler for later events. It would have been better if Squall and Rinoa's (cheesy) romance was a surprise, and not an instant giveaway. The intro also gave away the bad guys (Edea and Seifer) right off the bat. So basically you start playing the game, and you're thinking "when is the witch lady going to come out" and "when do Squall and Rinoa fall in love?"

In the other games, it was all a matter of surprise.

I never noticed it when I first played.
duhard.gif

So I guess that's probably one of the reasons I never really decided it was ghey or something. I just had my eyes focused on the battle between Squall and Seifer. xD

Last edited:
It certainly could have been a trailer, in fact I think the use of montage was meant to be a sort of teaser to keep you wondering when you'd see the images from the opening.

But artistic? Not from my point of view. It was just a mishmash of the major FMVs. However, the Kingdom Hearts openings, while they are also somewhat a montage, I do consider them to be possibly artistic in the way they actually meld the pieces of the together with psychologically cohesive joints. More complex and innovative then just fading and cutting FMV's together, in my opinion.

It’s definitely worth getting, in my opinion.

Storyline/Plot:
I thought it was a brilliant and well written storyline that always seemed to draw me in, never a dull moment.

Characters:
The characters in this one were realistic as opposed to your common fairytale types, truer to life as well as fitting into their somewhat stereotypical roles of their ages. I can be argued that they were all the same, but I found all of the character to be unique in both story and personality.

Romance: Yes, the romance can be a little trying to get through at times, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Actually, out of the two main sets of romance, I enjoyed Laguna and Julia’s the most, especially the fact that it lived on through their children.

Music:
Among the best in the series... Nobuo Uematsu, need I say more.

Graphics:
The best for it’s time, especially the FMV’s.

Gameplay/Battle System:
I loved VIII’s junction system, one of the most unique and entertaining of the series, in my opinion. Never dull, never boring.

Sidquest/Mini-games
: I thought most of the sidequest were entertaining, except for the Chocobo sidequest... boring. However, the Triple Triad card game makes up for it in droves. It’s my all-time favorite and one of the best mini-games in the series.

Of course!!!!
the battle was challenging, that's what we want right?
the characters are cool especially Squall
but the graphics/colors are so dark...only a few places have the light colors
the music was really nice! especially in Balamb Garden and in the Fisherman's Horizon (which me and my brother loved)
the storyline was fantastic....
and was romantic...Rinoa, finding Squall OMG! XD

Last edited:
I would have to say definitely. I think it's such a great game, a lot of people seem to hate it though and I just don't get it. Everybody has different tastes in gaming though. I believe the game had a wonderful storyline and cast of characters. The Junction System was pretty good in my opinion too, not too many people were keen on that though I don't think. I didn't mind collecting all the magic to junction, it was alright. There are a few interesting twists in the game and I never found it boring. The soundtrack is beautiful and I just think almost everything about the game was perfect.

It's a great game and it is worth getting if you are a true Final Fantasy fan!

Back