FFVII - Worth Getting?

Ok what i'm wondering is if final fantasy 7 is worth beating. i have beaten FF 1, 10, and 12 and loved them all. personally i dont see how a game could get any better than 10. i have a friend however that says 7 is far better and apparently most final fantasy fans agree with him. i've played 7 up to near the end of the first disc, right before temple of ancients. while it was a great game it just didn't hook me. so is it worth the time with so many new games coming out and a busy lifestyle?

You dont see how a game could get better than X? O__O Um, i'm sorry, X is a great game and all, but VII, IX, and VI are far better. Seriously, you need to play through VII and IX all the way through and beat them.

I'd say you need to beat VI too....but i'm going to take a wild guess here and say you're the type who doesnt like old fugly 2D games.

VI wasn't that ugly. I honestly prefer crisp, clean 2D graphics as opposed to blocky, ugly 3D graphics. Back on topic, yes, get it. It's really a good game, although you might think differently about it.

Last edited:
Aye, i know it wasnt ugly, VI and Chrono Trigger were gorgeous 2D games. But i'm guessing by the way loseit talked about X that he doesnt much care for the old 2D ones.

Then again he did say he liked FFI and that's pretty inferior 2D. I dont see how he couldnt gain any interest in VII even though he was all the way up to the temple of the ancients o_O

I have beaton FF7 and i would say playing it is worth it! I don't mind the graphics at all but I loved the storyline and plot.

You dont see how a game could get better than X? O__O Um, i'm sorry, X is a great game and all, but VII, IX, and VI are far better. Seriously, you need to play through VII and IX all the way through and beat them.

I'd say you need to beat VI too....but i'm going to take a wild guess here and say you're the type who doesnt like old fugly 2D games.

Trust me, i'm not a graphics whore, I could care less about the graphics which by the way were incredible for VII's time. I bet VII and IX are great games but i don't know about VI. Does that even have much of a story? because i love FFI anniversiary for PSP but it was kind of lacking depth. by the way does anyone think they could give me a list of remakes of the older games and what system they are for as i don't own a playstation or NES.

P.S.
The sheer number of people who support 7 so greatly has inspired me to pick it up again.

Aye, i know it wasnt ugly, VI and Chrono Trigger were gorgeous 2D games. But i'm guessing by the way loseit talked about X that he doesnt much care for the old 2D ones.

Then again he did say he liked FFI and that's pretty inferior 2D. I dont see how he couldnt gain any interest in VII even though he was all the way up to the temple of the ancients o_O

a bit off topic but i heard chronocross was another great game. how good is it?

Last edited:
Trust me, i'm not a graphics whore, I could care less about the graphics which by the way were incredible for VII's time. I bet VII and IX are great games but i don't know about VI. Does that even have much of a story? because i love FFI anniversiary for PSP but it was kind of lacking depth. by the way does anyone think they could give me a list of remakes of the older games and what system they are for as i don't own a playstation or NES.

P.S.
The sheer number of people who support 7 so greatly has inspired me to pick it up again.

a bit off topic but i heard chronocross was another great game. how good is it?

Ah good, you're not a shallow gamer then! ^^ VII has a massive fan base...sadly, many of them are stubborn, ignorant gamers who refuse to see that while VII is good and Sephiroth is a cool villian, there ARE better FFs and better villians, so try not to be swayed by them too much. VII is still a great game though, and IX and VI are even better (though many a Sephi fanboy would debate me on that). The story in VI is great and the characters are just amazing, they did such a wonderful job on character development in that game (IX as well).

As for Chrono Cross...i cant say, i've never been able to find the game. From what i've heard it's just as good as Chrono Trigger, though (which is saying alot).

while it was a great game it just didn't hook me.
This sentence confuses me somewhat, you've already said it's a great game but are pondering over whether to complete it? I think you'd answered your own question back there, if you really weren't sure you wouldn't have used the word great, there must've been something in it that sucked you in. You made the right choice in the end, I'd say play it and make your own decision about the game, you may not like it as much as X in the end but you'll certainly get a good ride out of it.

Is this game worth playing? I would probably say yes but it is certainly not my favorite from the series. It is a good game though, some people really enjoy it but others may not so much. It depends on what you like I suppose. If you are a fan of the graphics then you may not like this much but if you are into the storyline the most, you will really like it!

It may be the best voted Final Fantasy game and such but it isn't my favorite at all. I like it but I prefer VIII. ^_^ I would love to see a remake of VII but I am worried that they will destroy the storyline and everything. :dry:

Is this game worth playing? I would probably say yes but it is certainly not my favorite from the series. It is a good game though, some people really enjoy it but others may not so much. It depends on what you like I suppose. If you are a fan of the graphics then you may not like this much but if you are into the storyline the most, you will really like it!

It may be the best voted Final Fantasy game and such but it isn't my favorite at all. I like it but I prefer VIII. ^_^ I would love to see a remake of VII but I am worried that they will destroy the storyline and everything. :dry:

I would ONLY support a remake if ALL they did was update the graphics and make the characters look like they do in AC...everything else should go untouched. And for the love of god, NO voice acting in it either. The voice acting in Dirge of Cerberus has made me lose all faith in SE to find competent American voice actors, since they actually gave Vincent Auron's voice...it just doesnt fit and every time i look at Vince i see Auron >_<

But back to topic. Worth playing? Most definitely. Just cuz it was voted best FF and has the most radical fans doesnt make it THE best, that's all a matter of opinion, but it is a good game and pretty damn fun. It's a tad on the easy side though, especially once you get Knights of the Round and Mime.

One piece of advice for the original poster: DON"T FALL FOR THE HYPE!

Final Fantasy VII is a great game but don't go into it thinking about what critics say. Detach yourself from public opinion and just give it a go. You will ruin this game for yourself if you take in the praise from the bulk of fans. Go into it without expectations to get the full enjoyment.

The FFVII hype reminds me of the Evangelion hype from the anime fandom. I thought the series was good but not that good. I've heard lots of great things about this game and when I played it a few years ago; I was disappointed. Why? Because fans placed it on a pedestal. I had fun with the game but it was not "THE BEST EVERZ" for me. Anyway, just give it a shot. Hype can ruin your experience; remember that.

One piece of advice for the original poster: DON"T FALL FOR THE HYPE!

Final Fantasy VII is a great game but don't go into it thinking about what critics say. Detach yourself from public opinion and just give it a go. You will ruin this game for yourself if you take in the praise from the bulk of fans. Go into it without expectations to get the full enjoyment.

The FFVII hype reminds me of the Evangelion hype from the anime fandom. I thought the series was good but not that good. I've heard lots of great things about this game and when I played it a few years ago; I was disappointed. Why? Because fans placed it on a pedestal. I had fun with the game but it was not "THE BEST EVERZ" for me. Anyway, just give it a shot. Hype can ruin your experience; remember that.

thanks, this is really good advice. what you said is probably what happened to me the first time i played it: very high expectations

Is this question really worth asking?? Yes, the game is worth playing. It is the best of the serries, and arguably one of the greatest games ever played. Any FF fan or RPG fan would be crazy not to play this game atleast once in their life.

VII has got to be my favourite. When I was playing it I just didn't want it to end... ever!
Anyway it's a great game but I can't determin weather you'll like it or not.

Not to say that FFVII isn't a fairly good game (for its time), but it IS highly overrated by the FF faithful. I would say beat it, and do the miniquests just for bragging rights...but seeing as how you've played X, don't expect to be blown away. My personal favorite is IX, if you've never played that one...I would highly suggest it.

Not to say that FFVII isn't a fairly good game (for its time), but it IS highly overrated by the FF faithful. I would say beat it, and do the miniquests just for bragging rights...but seeing as how you've played X, don't expect to be blown away. My personal favorite is IX, if you've never played that one...I would highly suggest it.

*nods*

One really disappointing thing about this game is how short it is. The first two discs are story, and the last one is pretty much the last three bosses, ending FMVs, and whatever sidequests you do. Granted, there are ALOT of sidequests that can really stretch out the game, but still, i would have preferred the length to be drawn out by story rather than hunting down WEAPONS and inbreeding chocobos.

Also...it runs $70 or more...so if you're in it for the story and character development, you may feel a little ripped off. It's still an assload of fun though and much better than XII

I think it is much better because of the awesome storyline and how cool the characters are compared to other final fantasy characters.

FFVII is defiantly the best of the series, the graphics maybe appalling but the story and the entertainment factor simply make the others inferior

It is definetly worth playing. It has one of the best plots of any game I have played, and it is one of those games you just have to complete.

Back