FFIV - Worth Getting?

FFIV is absolutely worth getting, and I would highly recommend the SNES version if at all possible. Despite being somewhat short compared to some of the other games in the series, it has the best story and many of the best characters. It's reasonably challenging, but certainly not impossible to beat, and extremely entertaining. There are no annoying characters, and there is a high level of interpersonal interactions/dynamics within the actual party of PCs, which is becoming more and more rare as the series goes along (compared with something like XII, where there are more cutscenes involving the NPC politicians than the PCs :rage:) Anyway, despite FFIV being old, everyone who calls themself a fan of FF must absolutely, positively play this game. It is out of this world.

I would say yes because if you don't rush through it the game can be quite long.
My clear time was 49 Hours 16 Minutes 47 Seconds .
This was with all my party members at Lv.60 or Higher with the Ultimate Weapons and Armor.
Like Cecil's Last Sword, or Kain's Last Lance or the Dragon Armor Set or Crystal Armor set.(Not using the names of the weapons due to them being changed).

I would say its a defiantley must get, it is a great game :) Though for some reason mine is broken i get the monks introduction and it freezes instantly. So i have to buy a new one, but from what i played, its amazing. And a great game to add to your collection.

Im playing the DS version of this game rite now n i have to say....... AWESOME!!! this is one of the top FF in the whole series.

already got it,

long storyline, good enough charcters.

the problem?: too many good characters keep dying -.-

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely worth getting. The story is really interesting, and so many good characters. The combat system is really simple to use which makes the game run smoothly.

This game is definitely worth getting. It's my personal favorite. But besides that, I think it has the best story of all the games. Cecil is arguably the best lead, IMO.

already got it,

long storyline, good enough charcters.

the problem?: too many good characters keep dying -.-

Only one dies! You're led to believe the others die, but if you recall, all but two of the characters you were led to believe to have died didn't die, and you ran into them later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone please remember to use spoiler tags if you are revealing important plot points in your post. Since this thread is basically for people who are considering getting the game and have never played it, we don't want to spoil anything for them. Thanks. :)

Um yes and no.. It's worth getting to me because it's a final fantasy series game and I think everyone who is a final fantasy fan should want to play all the games to see how final fantasy has evolved over the years, but that being said It's the worst that I've played.. I no i am in a huge minority when I say that but I'm sorry for me its true.. This game was far more frustrating then it was exciting and thats the only ff I've played that i can say that for.

All those people saying it was great I'm wondering if they played it when it came out and have a noglistic feeling towards it or if they were playing a different version then the playstation version I was playing, or maybe I've just lost my marbles, but it's just not all that great to me..

The game itself is short for a final fantasy game, Trust me its shorter by a lot even compared to the one that comes right after it (ffv).. The game also offers no custombility so don't expect to get any choices what so ever about pretty much anything.

As far as sidequests go.. um hi there was like 3.. 2 being uber short ones and one being just near impossible..

The story wasn't bad by any means and neither were the characters.. That was the saving grace of this game for me.. I don't think the story was amazing cuz, without spoiling it, it was just a little cut and dry for me, but it wasn't a bad story at all..

What really frustrated me about the game was the battles.. THE BATTLES BATTLES BATTLES.. Not so much that they were tough (which they were) but more that they were annoying as all hell.. The monsters all have like auto haste on or something in this game because I swear to god they attack 3x for every time you attack 1x.. Oh and every other battle you pretty much are caught in a back attack or an ambush, so thats always fun.. NOT.. Just very aggrivating getting through the battles and having to wait for the enemies to attack you a million times before you get a shot off.. That was what made this game so crappy for me..

but Anywaz like i said thats just my opinion.. I still think you should get it cuz it taught me a lot about the growth of the future ffs...

The random battles can be really annoying because some monsters can really kill your team. I have to use teleport to get out of the dungeon sometimes if I find anything rare before some random monsters knock me off because it won't allow me to save immediately in the dungeon. Depending on the level of your character, I didn't level up them much so it was very difficult for me but I'd always like challenging game. I have to follow a walkthrough to make my journey easier! lol!
However, I love the storyline and the characters.

FFIV is a classic, an evolutionary step for RPG in America. Although the technology isn't much to some, it's a great early example of how Square maximized the technology to it's fullest, richest storytelling potential. It set a standard of music, character archetypes, and storytelling.

Palom and Porom still make me cry. Cecil and Rosa have a great love story and, 19 years later, Rydia is still my hero.

If you've only played more recent games, you'll appreciate the jolt of familiar names and spells as you realize that they've been there from FF's earliest years. FIV creates a historical appreciation for the series that makes playing the later games even more satisfying.

Definitely. Its by far my favourite FF game to date, save Dissidia. It was my first FF game too. Guess what? I haven't found a single one that has immersed me in the story & gameplay as much as this. A classic.

One thing though, I'd recommend that unless you can get both, take the GBA version. It has that extra dungeon which I found worth just that extra bit.

DS version is also a brilliant play, but unfortunately loses some impact after completion.

My say? Yes. Do yourself a favour & buy this fantastic FF installment.

Yes, it is. Most definitely. Its a great game and I had a lot of fun playing it, especially around the end. Hard, but not too hard, characters are great, dialogue is good (I thought so!) enemies are nice, boss fights are great and the music is perfect.

If one went to a store and saw this game there, you should get it. You won't be disappointed. :) I know I wasn't :P

Palom and Porom still make me cry. Cecil and Rosa have a great love story and, 19 years later, Rydia is still my hero.
Your post is perfect to describe the game! :33

Especially this part T.T

I've seen the intro, never actually played it. Looks like a game I would love to play. I would love to see the storyline played out.

@Baks exactly what do you know about FFIV?

I too highly recommend it, if anyone is looking to try a 16-Bit FF Experience FFIV is the way to go, then try V & VI too

As for which version, I have to put forward the PSP version! the sprites look stunning! really sharp and crisp and don't have that horrible Playmobile look of the iOS ports. I wish they made digital version of this release (Along with the PSP's FF1 & 2) on the PS3/PS4 to play it full screen, but it's still a delight on PSP - I think it is on the PS Store and available for PS Vita, but not PSTV... Yes, I actually have one of them :P

Back