FFII - Worth Getting?

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
Since this topic crops up so much, I figured I'd make a topic and sticky it.

Is this game worth getting? Please post your replies so that people who cannot decide can read this to make their decisions.

It's only worth getting if you want to play an esrly FF. The storys pretty good for an old game but the battle system is HORRIBLE.

FF2 is an awesome game, better than the first imo.
It is definatly worth getting, the Level up system is kinda confusing but you get the hang of it.

I reccomend this FF game for whoever wants a good story, The story is awesome for a NES game.

The story is pretty great - an enormous improvement over the first installment. The battle system isn't awful, but just different. I personally liked the fact that it's more realistic; the more you use a certain weapon or spell, the more powerful you become with it.

It's still not too amazing in comparison to today's games, but it's still quite good - much better than the first, in my opinion.

If you want FFII I would suggest getting Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls. (Final Fantasy I & II Advance (Japan)), It has better graphics and a couple of new dungeons. But unfortunatly, The didn't make save points in dungeons. So if you die on B4 of the dungeon you will have to start all over again at the entrance of the dungeon. Cause you can only save on the overworld right?
I personaly give FFII a 6/10 or if you want it more specific here:
Graphics: 8/10

Music: 7/10
Battle System: 8/10
Leveling System: 2/10
Opening Scene: 8/10

Last edited:
Leki also supports getting the Dawn of Souls version, as mentioned above by FF Forever. It has both games plus some added dungeons....

But FFII by itself? Nope, not worth it. Leki means.... it IS a FF game, so if your into collecting FF, GET IT. But if you just want a random game, no. It's not worth it. Leki could never get into the story... and just plain hated the system.

Years ago, FFII was my favorite. That was until I got to play FFIX (the Pinnacle Rock reference was great).

FFII is not an easy game, and it can drive you insane. It is insanely unforgiving, and always a chore to finish.

I say, get it just so you can add it to your collection.

I don't see why everyone bashes the FFII leveling system. It's actually quite realistic (you only level up with weapons you use, you only gain HP as you take damage, your spells only become powerful if you use them.) The story is pretty awesome too. I got it for PSP and do not regret it.

i hate it... id rather lvl then get magic lvls up... i liked the FFX system tho :) it was the best!

Not worth it. It's old and the plot is too simple. Even with the remakes it's still boring.

if you want a change in gameplay why not try? it's very unique and the big changes since FFI are intriguing. though I admit some parts can turn out to be boring, since this is an FF if you're a fan of the series you can also learn something at least. the gameplay perhaps may be refreshing imo.

I don't mind the leveling system, and I think that most of the problems people have with it come from abusing it (e.g. attacking party for HP). My problem was with the magic levels, simply because I am quite used to getting the most powerful magic avaliable (the '-ga's or '-ja's), so I felt like I should have my magics fully leveled up to 16 near the endgame... whereas anybody who has played this game knows that leveling up your magics as such is a bit like leveling up characters to "99" in most regular leveling systems.

The story really does save it though; there is a much deeper plot to it than I (or III for that matter), and it's hardly outdated by today's standards.

I would say that it is definitely worth getting for any FF fan (which I assume we all are ;))

Ofcourse it is. I suggest the GBA's Dawn Of Souls version though, it seems less irratating, older versions to me are praticly unplayable.

Big luv for Minwu!

I'd say its worth getting if you want to play an early FF game. It has a good story but I personally didn't like it mainly cuz of the weird levelling system.

In my eyes, every Final Fantasy is worth getting.
I prefer this to Final Fantasy I and III and it has some of my favourite music in from the whole series.
It can be devilishly difficult sometimes, so is probably not for inexperienced FF gamers.
I'd say this game is a bargain and a real gem, and since it's probably selling cheaply on NES and PS1 there's no reason not to get it.

I agree with Golbez and Moonchild. Any FF is worth getting. And the old school ones were fun for me as I could remember playing them on the NES. Dawn of Souls is less aggravating but I still got "stuck" at times enraging me to want to throw my GBA against a wall.

Another one I'd only buy to complete the collection. I hate the battle system in this game with a passion, so much so that I can't actually bring myself to complete it

Back