FFI - Worth Getting?

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
Since this topic crops up so much, I figured I'd make a topic and sticky it.

Is this game worth getting? Please post your replies so that people who cannot decide can read this to make their decisions.

FF1 is a great game, it's kind of hard to navigate at times and know where you re going but it's a good place to start, I love the whole exploring aspect of the game.

I find it interesting for the sake of knowing how the whole series started. In and of itself, it's boring - amazing for its time, yes, but the year 2007 is not its time.

yes it's definitely worth getting. I'd say the gameplay is great and always on the go. this is a very ideal RPG.

Back when FFI first came out, it was awesome for it's time. Now a days, I would only recommend if you are a serious Final Fantasy fan or a serious RPG player and do not care about story or character development but difficulty. The story is not bad, but now a days it is very out dated. And the characters have no personality of their own.

FFI is not a bad game, but people who grew up with the later Final Fantasy games will probably not enjoy it. It may be worth checking out to see where the series started, but I don't know about buying it.

Only recommended for serious RPG fans. Or maybe if you really want a GBA game to play in your spare time. Just have a walk through if you get frusterated very easily.

If you really want to try it out, I would suggest downloading it to an emulator and trying it out.

Last edited:
I love the game, the only thing I thought would make it better was a map in world map, hard as hell to find places

Spam much? :monster:

I think it's worth buying if you have an old GBA that you don't play anymore. Whether or not the PSP version is worth the money I can't say for sure as I've never played it, but considering the screen shots I've seen, it looks very slick.

yup, the PSP version is pretty much better than the GBA version. Much better graphics, one extra dungeon etc. Top game, and the price is decent too. Also, as far as i know, the sound has been remade with instruments rather than midi, so it sounds fantastic.

yup, the PSP version is pretty much better than the GBA version. Much better graphics, one extra dungeon etc. Top game, and the price is decent too. Also, as far as i know, the sound has been remade with instruments rather than midi, so it sounds fantastic.

That's probably the best choice for those who haven't played Dawn of Souls. If you have played it on the GBA, don't bother. It's not worth it.

If you want FF1 get FF1&2DOS (DOS - Dawn of Souls (US) Advance (JP)) It's a good game but found it a bit of a doozey of getting around in dungeons. Rate it 7/10. Good game. I would only get the NES version if I had an NES, or I was a serious classic game collector.

BTW this is my 100th post! WEEEE!!!!!!!!! XO

ive got it for the psp and im about 50 percent done...psp version is alot better than the nes,gba versions. New graphics and remade music which sounds great, also some extra boss music has been added aswell:O. Only thing that bothers me is the storyline which i usually go for in games..Other than that its always good to play a classic^_^

I must be one of the only people who disliked this game. I have the GBA version myself but what I disliked most was the lack of a story. That's why I play Final Fantasy, to discover a new story. To be drawn into another world with unique characters, breath-taking scenery (in the latter games) and expressive music.

No real story or characters. If you thought XII had no story, then don't get this if you want to find a new story. The world's alright...The music's good, though. Final Fantasy music always is. =]

I dont see how anyone can say with FF1 there is lack of story... o_O;; Are you even paying attention to the game? I know the story lacks the intricacies of the FFs that followed but its a basic heroes out to save the world from ruin. Cant really expect much from the first game that was made... Im sure the first of anything wasnt as spectacular as what came later... it got fine tuned, additions were made...

I mean if you were expecting Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings from the first outing I can see why you would be disappointed... >.>

Four heroes, each holding a darkened orb, seeking a way to save the world from destruction by the hands of four evil fiends bent on sucking the life from the world for their own fiendish gain... this is basic fantasy lore here people...

Spoiled brats with your voice acting and 3D graphics... now get off my lawn~!! *waves cane in the air*

ive now beaten both the gba and psp version of it and id have to say the psp version is soooo much better!! i love the graphics so much! i love how the ninja/warriors look cause there my favourite 2 classes!

amen shiirow, I grew up on the nes version, and I find it much harder, gba version is good tho, I loved it

I dont see how anyone can say with FF1 there is lack of story... o_O;; Are you even paying attention to the game? I know the story lacks the intricacies of the FFs that followed but its a basic heroes out to save the world from ruin. Cant really expect much from the first game that was made... Im sure the first of anything wasnt as spectacular as what came later... it got fine tuned, additions were made...

I mean if you were expecting Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings from the first outing I can see why you would be disappointed... >.>

Four heroes, each holding a darkened orb, seeking a way to save the world from destruction by the hands of four evil fiends bent on sucking the life from the world for their own fiendish gain... this is basic fantasy lore here people...

Spoiled brats with your voice acting and 3D graphics... now get off my lawn~!! *waves cane in the air*
Hahaha awesome post, as so true as well.

I liked it. Only thing I actually didn't like was how equipment and magic became so ridiculasly expensive so quickly, forcing you to fight masses of easy battles which then by the time you moved on, the game is too easy because you've levelled up too much...but hey thats just a nit-pick.

Otherwise its a good solid game. Despite what many say it does have a good story albit a bit thin compared to the later games. To get the most out of the story you do need to talk to more or less every NPC, but your supposed to be doing that anyways :P. It's there, you just have to actually look for it rather than it being practicly given to you. Some of the dungeons are long and boring and at times you may feel things are a bit repetative if your not used to the older games, but otherwise should be fine.

It's definitly worth getting. GBA version at least, DS if you have one.

Back