FFI - Worth Getting?

I just love the first Final Fantasy game. I played it on the original NES over the summer at my friend's house because all he had at his grandparents house when we were there for a month for a NES. NES is fun but we found Final Fantasy 1 and 2. I was thrilled. Several nonstop hours of playing Final Fantasy on the little telly was just so much fun. I didn't care about the graphics at all because the story was just terrific.

The first version of the first final fantasy game that I played was on the GBA Dawn of Souls. I liked how they had both 1 and 2 on the same game cartridge.

Definitly yes, specially FF1 for PSP, its easy story easy rpg game thats really good to have on the go like in bus or when you'r waiting for someone in car
also is beginning of the great game series, so definitly every FF fan should atleast try it (and i love FF series, so i have even orginal japanese famicom version as well origins and psp version)

I recently got all the FF games (except 11). I wasn't going to get the first 6 at first because I thought I would get bored of the lame grapics and the old style but then I thought that it would be cool to see how video games progressed over the last 201 years. I'm halfway through FF1 now and I plan on beating all of them before 13 comes out in March. So if you're interested in seeing how all the games changed from the very beginning then yes FF1 is worth playing. Otherwise, no not really. It doesn't seem overly great of a game to me. So far it seems a lot like FF3 (which I already beat) except it's not as good.

FFI is definatly worth getting. I played the DS version which was pretty good. The story line is good and there are definatly challenges. They did the best that they could with what they had at the time.

Oh boy... here comes the voice of contradiction...

I do not think its worth getting. However my opinion stems from my experience with Final Fantasy II on the PSP.

Graphic wise, its definitely better / cleaner looking that most games on the SNES because of its higher resolution. Story wise, I think its awesome because of the complex time loop issue involved. Moreover, I like Garland and Chaos as villains so seeing them in action would motivate me to play the game. If you're into customization, FF I delivers on that note with the names, classes / skills etc.

BUT I strongly feel that the game's core design, the very thing that made it sell back in the 80's just isn't something that wouldn't work for me today. Playing FF II felt like a real chore - but I was fueled to finish the game because I greatly appreciated its rank in the Franchise.

If I received the FF I as a gift or if it was lent to me ~ I'd definitely play and finish it.
But I wouldn't shell out the cash to make a purchase. :)

Oh and PS ~ I salute those of you who purchased and finished the game. You're hard core! :sparta:

Last edited:
Definetly worth buying especially if you are a fan of the series you can see where the likes of the job classes came from the crystals came from and you can see how the series began it also had some of the recurring terms that we still have today in the FF's we play no chocobo's sadly :(

The only thing I didn't like about the psp version was the max HP count. It just annoyed me for some odd reason. Other than that, it was great. Amazing graphics and remastered music drew me in immediately.
Captain Obvious says: much better than the NES or GBA version.

I'd probably say the same, if you think you REALLY like the FF series n wanna see where it began then its great other wise its not much on todays standards. The characters are pretty lifeless when compared to even FFII but still I think it's worth the play in some ways, for instance anyone who's completed it gets massive respect in my opinion :)

it may depend on the platform you would be getting it for, but aside from Dissidia FF, this was my first experience with Final Fantasy (on the remastered PSP version), and I personally loved it. I am a fan of any kind of rpg really, but always wanted to play and beat ones like FF and Breath of Fire, and after finally getting my hands on FF1, I cant say I regret it :)
hope this helps, i would say go for it!

oh and also, like the guy above me said (sorry im new, not sure how to do quotes properly), anyone who beats it gets massive respect...i agree, thats one reason i got it, and possibly a reason you should, just to be able to say youve beaten it

get free emulators and the free rom. hell, you can even play it ion ur phone, but only the original nes version.

get free emulators and the free rom. hell, you can even play it ion ur phone, but only the original nes version.

Actually, the Anniversary version has been released for Apple devices as well (iPhone, iPod Touch, and presumably the iPad).

Let's not start discussing ROMs and emulators here, please. :) It's against the rules.

Short answer yes.. This game is definitely worth getting.

Long answer. A lot of you have already said it but this game is very dated. The characters do not have any personality besides being described as Light Warriors (which you will have to interpret on your own). The story is pretty well put together but does not go into very much detail unless you walk around and talk to EVERY SINGLE npc.

Having been made in the late 80's this game was definitely amazing for its time and is a classic that should not be passed up if you are a final fantasy fan.

To be honest I was never a fan of the series and never even wanted to try it... Now that I decided to give it a shot I started with game 1 and I am hooked.

Back