FFIX - Worth Getting?

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
Since this topic crops up so much, I figured I'd make a topic and sticky it.

Is this game worth getting? Please post your replies so that people who cannot decide can read this to make their decisions.

Last edited:
Well it's all a matter of opinion really. I definitely wouldn't say that FFIX is bad. Quite the opposite, in fact. It was definitely a lot easier than FFVII, and pretty much all previous FF's, but enjoyable nonetheless. The characters were all really good, I thought and you really grew to like, or dislike some of them. Kuja is probably one of the better FF villains so far, albeit a bit of camp-looking one.
I still prefer FFVII though. The storyline was masterful, and the characters were wonderfully done. I'm really running out of superlatives here.

I'd definitely recommend that you play IX though.

Personally, this is my favorite one in the serries. Although FFVII is the best one, this is still my favorite. I would say it is worth buying. Despite the fact that it's not the best in the serries, any TRUE FF fan would love the game.

FFIX is definatly worth it, its one of the best of the series, and its in my personal top 5 FFs. It has a gripping storyline, the characters are amazing and the battle systems relatively easy to master.

But, like FFVIII IX is Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

I think it's definitely worth getting. It's actually my favorite in the series. I love the characters, the story, the music and the atmosphere of the game. I doubt you'll be able to find it in a store. I think most game stores have stopped carrying psx games. You should be able to find it on ebay or amazon quite easily though.

Whoever told you IX was bad should burn <.<

IX is my favorite in the series, tying with VI. The reason so many people dislike it is because their first exposure to Final Fantasy (and usually RPGs in general) was VII or VIII, so they're used to more futuristic and realistic things. IX is definitely a medieval fantasy game, with everything from knights to castles to princesses to dragons to airships to plays.

The character development in the game is quite amazing, and the story is simply fantastic. Also, IX is an homage to the old FFs, so if you've played any of those you'll have an even greater appreciation for IX. The soundtrack is also gorgeous, it's definitely one of Uematsu's best and it matches the game perfectly. It's one of the few soundtracks where if you hear a song, you'll remember the exact place it played in the game and will bring back whatever emotions you had during that part.

So yeah, IX is definitely worth the $20 you'll end up paying for it. Look on ebay, or if you're lucky enough to have any gaming stores in your town that sell PSone games, pick it up there. I think it's better than VII, but as people have said, it all comes down to a matter of opinion. It is by no means a bad game, it's an excellent RPG, and as a FF, it's one of the best.

I hear this game is a pretty good game, so I say it's worth getting. I have not experienced it myself but I see and hear some pretty decent reviews about it.

I always found this game awsome. I thought this game was one of the best along with ff7. So I think it is worth getting it.

Personally, my opinion is that it's better than VII (that's right, I said it). The storytelling isn't as convoluted as VII's, and has much more likable characters overall. The enemy design is far more creative, as is the world. A ridiculously underrated game in my opinion. $20 for a game of this quality is a steal.

This is a truly beautiful FF game and any fan should play this. This is probably what you expect most from a Final Fantasy game. As like FF I-VI it is your typical iconography, in regards to fantasy, of Kingdoms, knights, castles, sorcerors and such. The story is great and the music in the game is lovely to listen to. The cutscenes in this game are probably some of the best in the franchise and the characters are varied from each other in a strong way which makes things a lot more interesting. I would place this up there with VII and better than VIII. Definately worth it, buy it.:D

IX is better then VII in my view, The story is more solid and doesnt contain as many plot holes, prop my faviote FF after X.

It's one of my favorite games of all-time. It was the intro to FFIX that got me hooked on the series. The graphics for a PS1 game are amazing and the story sucked me right in once I started going deeper and deeper into the plot. Characters may look young and all, but they make up for it in big ways with their strive to come out on top in the end.

This game is very much worth getting. It is my favorite of the series and I find myself replaying over and over again. It also has a better version of Triple Triad. The cards can actually be levelled up. I liked the way that abilities were learned and acquired. It has some pretty funny dialogue as well. It was an all around great game. A must have for any FF collection.

well if you enjoy final fantasy, especially traditional final fantasy with things such as knights, dragons, and castles, then you will love this game. you also can't be the type of person that picks apart graphics because of the character shapes and whatnot, because ive heard many people say that they didn't like this game because of the way the characters looked. that's gotta be one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever heard, the graphics for this game are great. in conclusion, its my favorite final fantasy so obviously i'd say its worth getting.

Most people who say that IX sucks from my experience are the ones that started with VII. Then they played VIII and when they got to IX it was more of the traditional FF setting that they had never seen before where they're used to the futuristic setting. And the characters were chibified to look more like the old school FF games but only in 3D.

IX is definently worth getting though. I think it's one of the better games in the series. You'll have to get it online though since it's no longer sold in stores.

you also can't be the type of person that picks apart graphics because of the character shapes and whatnot, because ive heard many people say that they didn't like this game because of the way the characters looked. that's gotta be one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever heard, the graphics for this game are great. in conclusion, its my favorite final fantasy so obviously i'd say its worth getting.

It's not the graphics that are the issue, it's idiots who grew up on VII and VIII going "omgz t3h p3oplez r chibi itz not r34l!"

Pretty much the only people who dont like this game are:
1. people who grew up on VII and VIII and never played the old FFs, so they cant appreciate the actual fantasy setting of the game

2. people who are homophobes so they call kuja gay and dont take the game seriously

3. people who suck

Actually there was some kid on here, i forgot who, but he was complaining about how all the characters were dressed up for a play. Um, well let me think...when it starts you ARE in a play...and seeing as how it's fantasy and medieval, it would make sense for people to be dressed fancier than today. Dur.

So yeah, buy the game. It's one of the best FFs, makes tons of references to the old FFs that long time fans can appreciate (or new fans, so long as you've played the older ones), it's charming, the romance in it doesnt feel sappy or corny in the least, and it's just plain awesome ^_^

Worth getting? Yes. Actually, it’s one of my top three all-time favorite FF’s.

Can you find it in stores? If you’re lucky, but your best bet would be Ebay or Amazon (I prefer Amazon).

It’s probably one the most underrated FF’s in the PSOne series, in my opinion. It had a great lighthearted storyline, an excellent set of characters that are all pretty well developed. Great music, the game-play was fun and so on… I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, at least I hope not.

Back