FFIX - Worth Getting?

Yes, its worth getting, Its my favourite of all time, :) :)

The characters are great, the music if brilliant (my fav being your not alone :))

and the gameplay is good eccpeacily for a ps1 game :)

I always wondered if this game was worth getting. Cause two of my friends keep moaning at me to buy it. But I think now after looking at this I'm going to attempt to find it somewhere. :-)

Final Fantasy IX is definitely worth getting. If you're new to the series or a long-time fan, this game will appeal to you. It's a throw-back to the classic fantasy setting of the original FF games before VII transformed the series into more science-fiction settings. The story is the greatest I have ever encountered, the game-play spectacular, and the graphics, for their time, brilliant. You will not regret purchasing this game at all.

Final Fantasy IX had one of the best storylines in the series, It was very intricate and the character designs were beautiful,
For PSX it was amazing Graphically.

And the best part of it all is:
It hardly costs anything nowadays!

In my oppinion, you should flog your copy of VII and buy this beauty!
And since I myself recieved a flogging of a different kind for making such a short post, I shall explain why!!

Final Fantasy 9 remains, to me, the most visually capturing of the series! Even though 10 was obviously the most graphically superior (being on the console of the generation above the Playstation), 9's amazing backdrops and pre-rendered scenery actually added to the emotional and dare I say spiritual element of the game by giving it a really traditional, artistic appearance, almost as if the game was more like a moving painting. The cast of characters is also possibly one of the best in series, rivaled only by Final Fantasy 6, as each one has their own really unique traits and deep, compelling background. For example:
-Zidane and Garnet's love for each other
-Vivi questioning his existance and what it means to live and die
-Freya's quest to honour her nation whilst trying to repress the sorrow for her lost love, Fratly
-Steiner's disillusion towards his blind loyalty to a tyrant
-Quina's epic hunt for something edible
-Stiltzkin's travel across the globe

The number of seperate, interesting plotlines in this game is incredible!!

Also, the amazingly introcute way in which the whole game is layed out is just brilliance!
This one of the few games of the series where the antagonist isn't even mentioned or hinted at untill quarter of the way through the game, at which point you aren't aware of his greater sugnificance.

And the legacy of Terra, including the planet itself and Castle Pandemoneum, Ipsen's Castle, Oeilvert...how incredible was that concept!!

Anyhow, with any luck I shan't be viciously spanked for this now..

Last edited:
Ohh for sure! :) I know it didn't hit as big as FFVII or VIII but I'm so glad I bought the game it was deff a GREAT buy and it's a fun game to play through. The story, characters and plot was great imo. :D

Is there a Final Fantasy game that's not worth getting? Maybe X-2 but that's about it.

This game is one of the best FF games ever created. It's up there with 7 8 and 10. And it's my personal favorite. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed if you give it a try. It's got a great battle system, great characters, and a great story. What else do you need?

Whoever told you IX was bad should burn <.<

IX is my favorite in the series, tying with VI. The reason so many people dislike it is because their first exposure to Final Fantasy (and usually RPGs in general) was VII or VIII, so they're used to more futuristic and realistic things. IX is definitely a medieval fantasy game, with everything from knights to castles to princesses to dragons to airships to plays.

The character development in the game is quite amazing, and the story is simply fantastic. Also, IX is an homage to the old FFs, so if you've played any of those you'll have an even greater appreciation for IX. The soundtrack is also gorgeous, it's definitely one of Uematsu's best and it matches the game perfectly. It's one of the few soundtracks where if you hear a song, you'll remember the exact place it played in the game and will bring back whatever emotions you had during that part.

So yeah, IX is definitely worth the $20 you'll end up paying for it. Look on ebay, or if you're lucky enough to have any gaming stores in your town that sell PSone games, pick it up there. I think it's better than VII, but as people have said, it all comes down to a matter of opinion. It is by no means a bad game, it's an excellent RPG, and as a FF, it's one of the best.

Most people who say that IX sucks from my experience are the ones that started with VII. Then they played VIII and when they got to IX it was more of the traditional FF setting that they had never seen before where they're used to the futuristic setting. And the characters were chibified to look more like the old school FF games but only in 3D.

IX is definently worth getting though. I think it's one of the better games in the series. You'll have to get it online though since it's no longer sold in stores.

Final Fantasy IX is definitely worth getting. If you're new to the series or a long-time fan, this game will appeal to you. It's a throw-back to the classic fantasy setting of the original FF games before VII transformed the series into more science-fiction settings. The story is the greatest I have ever encountered, the game-play spectacular, and the graphics, for their time, brilliant. You will not regret purchasing this game at all.

In my oppinion, you should flog your copy of VII and buy this beauty!
And since I myself recieved a flogging of a different kind for making such a short post, I shall explain why!!

Final Fantasy 9 remains, to me, the most visually capturing of the series! Even though 10 was obviously the most graphically superior (being on the console of the generation above the Playstation), 9's amazing backdrops and pre-rendered scenery actually added to the emotional and dare I say spiritual element of the game by giving it a really traditional, artistic appearance, almost as if the game was more like a moving painting. The cast of characters is also possibly one of the best in series, rivaled only by Final Fantasy 6, as each one has their own really unique traits and deep, compelling background. For example:
-Zidane and Garnet's love for each other
-Vivi questioning his existance and what it means to live and die
-Freya's quest to honour her nation whilst trying to repress the sorrow for her lost love, Fratly
-Steiner's disillusion towards his blind loyalty to a tyrant
-Quina's epic hunt for something edible
-Stiltzkin's travel across the globe

The number of seperate, interesting plotlines in this game is incredible!!

Also, the amazingly introcute way in which the whole game is layed out is just brilliance!
This one of the few games of the series where the antagonist isn't even mentioned or hinted at untill quarter of the way through the game, at which point you aren't aware of his greater sugnificance.

And the legacy of Terra, including the planet itself and Castle Pandemoneum, Ipsen's Castle, Oeilvert...how incredible was that concept!!

Anyhow, with any luck I shan't be viciously spanked for this now..

You guys, and anyone else who agrees, are absolutely right. Sorry the quote list, but you guys made excellent points. I'm already an FFIX fan(my favorite if you didn't know already), and I'm convinced again why FFIX rules. It's THE most underrated game of the series. Anyone who's used to futuristic settings wouldn't like to hear this, but FFVII is the most overrated in my opinion. Yeah it's a great game. I just don't see what's great about it. It all feels so...dark.

Anyway, back to FFIX. Azkera, you should add Eiko to that list. Remember her background? She's lived alone with the exception of her Moogle friends for a long time. Plus, her snobbish attitude. It's adorable. :)

And Amarant, too. He believed it's best for a person to depend on himself/herself than working with a team at any given day (and of course how
Zidane changes that
)

FFIX is the best. As I mentioned in another thread, the main villains in FFVI and FFIX have one thing in common. Kefka and Kuja are the only ones who
DID accomplish their evil goals.
Seriously, who else has succeeded with world domination, ultimate power, or, as in the aforementioned villains' case,
eradication of all life
?

Tell me what you think, once you finish reading this. :)

FFIX is pretty incredible (still not sure what FF I'd consider my favorite). I'd almost put it at the top for Vamo' alla Flamenco. But something that's always bothered me about that game - Zidane has to be the ugliest protagonist in FF history. I'm honestly trying to think of a main "good guy" who looks more bizarre and rat-like.

Also, I named my first cat Eiko. I named her sister Freya, although we found out when we went to get her spayed that Eiko's sister was actually Eiko's brother (It's remarkable how easy it is to make that mistake when you aren't looking closely). So Freya got renamed :D

I have to admit, I grew up with Final Fantasy IX, when I was only four, I remember my dad picking me up from Kindergarten(10 years ago) and opening the trunk and showing me a PSOne with a bunch of games including FFIX, of course, I didn't know anything about a PSOne and less what a Final Fantasy IX was!! I didn't even know what the IX stood for!!! I played it for a veeery long time, because I was only four, I didn't get too far every time I played, I think I took about 3 hours to pass the first part, because I remember it so well!! When I was 10, I was moving houses, and we had to leave the PSOne off, but I never got to beat the game, in fact, I was in one of the last bosses of the game!!!!! The music has been the background of my life, I even started playing piano so I could play these songs, If you where to be thrown in an island and you where to choose ONE single thing that you could have there, this would be it, well at least for me. I don't think anyone will ever enjoy FFIX like I did because I doubt I would take 6 years to "almost" beat it like I did. Right now I would probably just beat it in like 2 weeks and say, that was a great game!! But certainly, it wouldn't be so good. Sadly, I have gotten a PS2 recently, and as soon as I got it, I bought FFIX off craiglist, the person even tested it but on my PS2, it did not work. I am kind of sad, but I have it, I like it so much that I have it and I can't even play it!!! I have hope that when I go to my friends house, it will work, and then I will like cry in the middle of playing and he will think I am crazy, It will be just like going back to a place that you thought you would never go back to but you missed like nothing else. You might think I am crazy but my childhood rotates around FFIX. If you had read this, I thank you, and now if you don't have this game, I recommend you to go to the store right now and purchase it, and have the chance to beat it like I didn't have the chance, then even though you might never tell me that you beat it and I inspired you to get it, I will feel happy for you and probably cry :')

thank you.

Here I go, please don't keel me :sad3:

It's worth getting if you are trying to finish all the mainstream games, but it isn't that good otherwise. The story was that appealing to me and the characters were not that interesting save for Zidane after I found out he was the
Angel Of Death

I did like Kuja, though. He was a memorable enemy and antagonist. He gave the game some credability, but that's it. The game seemed too childish and boring after a while and felt as though you had to beat it just to beat it. Didn't feel that great feeling after beating it, either.

It's a good game, but only for certain people.

Not only do I find this game to be worth buying, but I think that it has some of the most interesting musical scores in the series as well as some of the most memorable characters. I mean when you have a princess who
decides to name herself after a weapon and later cuts off her hair
how can you not just love it? It is chocked full of fantasy goodness and the FF IX black mages are just awesome. rally-ho I say! buy this game simply for the awesome story or the musical scores and stay for all of the other little goodies such as the tetra master card game and the chocobo side quests.

FFIX is one of the best. First actual FF game ive played. Got it for 2 bucks at a video store, but i would pay 60. Great game, awesome story, and unforgettable characters

FFIX is definately worth getting. The game is by far the easiest to play, and you can pick it up without much trouble. IMO the characters are very well developed and have interesting backstories, though some are not touched on as much as others. The cutscenes are very well rendered and though the talk is all dialog based, they have been beautifully done. And I just love the music of this game!

Edit: It is already on PSN if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
In my opinion, FF9 is one of the best in the series. It has everything you can expect in an epic rpg. It was nice for FF to get back to its roots and steer away from the futuristic twists that 7 and 8 had. One really good thing FF9 had was the speedy switch of events throughout the game that kind of kept you on edge. Whether a kingdom gets attacked or a boss battle just hops out of its own ass, youre always ready to go after situating your characters with one of the best equip/ability systems FF has to offer.
Really nice graphics for ps1 to. I was actually baffled_ also very lengthy, with plenty of fillers to keep you busy. Great monstrous sidequest thats probably half as long as the game itself.
Way to go FFIX!!! :vivi:

I already posted here, but now I played the game.

Yes, it's worth getting. Any scenes with Tantalus crack me up, especially Baku.
"I forgot to give Zidane that letter. -looks for it- I must have dropped it. Gwahaha!"
<--Added spoiler tags if you just happen to be on Disc 3 atm.

I like a game with the right amount of comedy. FFIX just knows when's the right time to make you laugh.

Back