FFIX - Worth Getting?

I don't think its fair to compare it to 8 though. 8 had a very serious plost and a more realistic atmosphere. 9 has a light hearted feel to it, and the graphical style was more fantasy then realistic.

There are similairities in the stories, and yet they are so different it's crazy.

Its worth having, but some might not enjoy the vibe it gives off compared to others.

to address the question "is this worth getting?", I'd have to say all the Final Fantasy games (with the exception FFXI and X-2) are all worth getting if you have never played them before.

Final Fantasy IX is amazing, sometimes I forget it's just a PSone game, it still kicks ass over most of the RPGs out today. Go play it.

The card game isnt that bad, but yeah, its not quite as good as triple triad...dont worry about the game, there is only one point in the game where you will have to play cards and you do not get items from refining cards or anything

I think it is completely worth getting, I loved almost everything about this game. I think the only thing that really bothered me was the card game. I was so used to triple triad, and then they have this crap of a card game. Plus the way some of the card were just bothered me, and what I mean about that is about how you would get a good card and it would have really crappy arrows. GRRR I hated that card game.

Sorry for the rant, all in all the game was awesome.;))

I mostly skipped on the card game in FFIX, I really didn't like or understand it until like my third time playing the game...understanding it. I really don't like it. And FFXI was a moron and brought back the card game instead of FFVIII's. I believe the game said something about how it was the first great card game for Final Fantasy. I'm not positive on that, its been a few years since I've played, but I'm pretty sure. Both card games kind of sucked in a way, especially since when I played it on FFVIII, I did all of that rule abolishing, it took awhile and was extremely putsy. It is a little cheap too, since once you end up playing with all Player cards, you can destroy just about anybody without even trying. There is that cool acomplishment of owning all cards though. The pokemon fan within us all comes out.

Anyway, FFIX is a different game, but I ended up liking it almost as much as all the others. It has a different atmosphere to it, but in a way that I appreciate what it's trying to do. I really enjoyed the characters, even though they were a little odd. Freya, Quina, Vivi, I really enjoyed all of them. I didn't care much for Zidane or Eiko though. Ultimately I enjoyed VII, VIII, and X more, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy FFIX a lot, because I did. You really just have to try it out and give it a go for yourself.

Oh I almost forgot! Chocobo Hot and Cold is the best mini game I have ever played. No Final Fantasy has used chocobo's in such a great way than FFIX did. It was so fun, I found myself using a chocobo all the time. It was nice seeing chocobo's and moogles playing such large parts, which I think they rarely do in most FF's.

FFIX is, in my honest opinion one of the better FF titles. What makes it special for me is the story-book feel it has, the wonderful character design and epic storyline. It harkens back to the golden age of FF presenting many of the classical elements that the series is famous for (the Vivi character is directly based on the Black Mage sprite from the first FF and has since become the typical representation for that class). Challenging enough at times to keep even the most experienced gamer occupied but simple enough so that anyone can enjoy it (the difficulty curve is steady but not too steep). the character development is simple enough but it forces you to keep a keen eye on your wallet and what equipment you're using. The story is beautiful and remains simple at the core. I won't say anything you won't read about behind the box or in faqs regarding extras and such which I though were fun enough. I think it's a really good game and strongly recommend it to any RPG fan old or new.

Last edited:
This game is easily worth getting. It is a great timeless classic, epic story of the fate of the universe, the never-ending ongoing struggle of good vs evil, life hanging in the balance. Face to face with God himself at the end, defying ALL odds.

Gameplay aside, its affordable. I think I picked up my copy used for 15 bucks. Gameplay, its every bit as good as FF VII, if not better, Id say the FMVs are better, graphic animation is much better, controls are easier, movement is smoother. Only reason FFVII is a hundred bucks give or take is because the story takes more then a few twists. IX doesn't have as many twists, but Id say it well deserves to go for at least most of what VII goes for, but it goes for a fraction of what VII goes for, so yeah, pick it up.

Final Fantasy 9 is probably THE BEST Final Fantasy to pick up comparing gameplay epic'ness to affordability, 15 bucks for one of the most classic RPGs every made. Go get the game.

Edit: You can use the dual shock sticks on a analog controller for IX. Makes it much more convenient.

didn't like it as much as some of the earlier ffs before it but its cheap now so it really doesn't matter, just get it

IX was probably my least favorite game, and although I can't quite explain why it's my least favorite I've just had a general aversion to it. It could never really quite capture my imagination like the previous three games and after I beat it I didn't have the urge to go back and complete all of the sidequests. It might be that I didn't really like the plot or characters but relatively speaking I just never liked IX all that much.

People really need to give IX another chance, I didn't like it at first either, or even the 2nd time, but it's got a fantastic little story to it, don't rush through, and just enjoy the game, and play the side quests, chocobo hot an cold is mde of frustrating win ;D

There's nowt to fault with the battle system, the skill learning is fun and it takes the edge off grinding which is shit dull in every game, gives you something else to work toward

Just play it for Quina, s/he's epic xD

But srsy, play the damn game, it DOES have magic and it's SO worth it, just cuz it's different to VII & VIII doesnt mean it should be a write off, different is good...although not TOO different coz 12 sucks adder balls...but that a whole new topic, so lets not discuss that here xD

Its entertaining, fun and has some real ;_; moments, it's more srs than people give it credit for <.<

I love FFIX because it goes back to the series' roots. Good old levelling that isn't too slow, superb ability system, diverse cast of characters, it has everything an FF needs.

um IX was a bit slow for me , least fav on tha list for me My final party was Rusty, Main dude, Scarlet(i named him avenger -my fav) and i think Garnet or maybe it was vivi but ayh it was pwnage sorta =D .. but all final fantasy games are worth getting

FF9 had one of the best story line's for a FF game on the PSX. It was creative, had amazing characters, and was just fun throughout the entire game. If my copy didn't get stolen, Id probably be playing it again.

Steiner is reason alone to buy this game. Great character development, amazing attack power, humorous personality, and the sound of clanking metal you will never get out of your head.

I honestly wish they would give this game a lot more attention, it really need's it. Because to me, this has to be one of the better FF's in recent years (at least better than 7 IMO) and I hate how 7 is getting all the attention and 9 is just being put aside.

Nah, I actually borrowed it from my friend and I thank god I didn't buy it. Maybe it's a great game but I played FF VII,VII and X before I get this one and those games are way better than IX.

I really Hates lots of characters in this game like Zorn, thorn, the big fat mammoth queen and I hate Cid in this game...Oh yea I hate that dragoon female too.

For me the game was really a big failure.

Now -ve rep me plz

I think the game is worth playing nowadays. It's my favorite game of any console or series. But it depends on your own personal taste. For me, I like the old medieval style, I like that only the Black Mages use magic etc. And this is why I struggle to get into the likes of Final Fantasy VII. I'm not saying that just because you like FFVII's style that you won't like FFIX's, or vice versa. But it does often seem like people tend to have a preference to one of those styles, and dislikes the other (and more often than not, people tend to like FFVII's style much more).

My first experience with FF was FFIX, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

This is one of my top 3 Final Fantasy games. It has everything you want a good story, characters that you can like and great music compliments it as well. I play it every summer when I have enough time in the day to enjoy and respect all that went into making this a awsome game.

Well it is my favorite FF game of all time. I've played all FF games except for number 3. I love the story and the characters, and I love how it ends with a happy ending for once. FF 9 is unique in it's own special way.

Back