FFIX - Worth Getting?

This is Defiantly worth it.
The Story is Gripping, The Battle system is perfect, and the game is relatively easy.
Whoever told you this game is bad should die.

It's one of my Favorite FFs actually.

This. Game. Is. A. Must. Buy. Period.

This game is awesome, one of the most meticulous and charming games ever created by the video gaming world.

+ Characters. The characters are really well developed, though the appearance of Amarant and Eiko so late in the game kind of ruins a bit of it, but hey, I'm not complaining. :D

+ Plot. One of the best plots in Final Fantasy, in my opinion.

+ Side Quests. Chocobo Hunt & Cold is one of my favorite side quests in any game. You get cool treasures, but then you get to go to that Chocobo Heaven place where you presumably will get pwned initially (like, the first 50 tries) by Ozma.

+ Ending. One of the best, if not THE best, ending of all time. It's not ambiguous like VII's but it's all about the wub. <3

Final Fantasy IX is a game that is very unappreciated among gamers and Final Fantasy fans alike. It is worth the money and time though. The characters and plot are all very well developed. If you can get around somewhat unpleasant graphics you will see a very beautiful art style. It is a very good game. I recommend it to everyone. It's a classic throwback. It may not be my favorite Final Fantasy game but it is fantastic, nonetheless.

Final Fantasy IX is a game that is very unappreciated among gamers and Final Fantasy fans alike. It is worth the money and time though. The characters and plot are all very well developed. If you can get around somewhat unpleasant graphics you will see a very beautiful art style. It is a very good game. I recommend it to everyone. It's a classic throwback. It may not be my favorite Final Fantasy game but it is fantastic, nonetheless.
Ye, FF9 really doesn't get enough credit, FF7 being so over rated, FF9 seems forgotten to me. Usually when I ask someone their favourite FF game, they hardly ever say FF9. But in my opinion, it's the best FF made. The story just seemed so much better than all the others to me, the characters are unique, the soundtrack is awesome, and Kuja is better than Sephiroth.

+ Side Quests. Chocobo Hunt & Cold is one of my favorite side quests in any game. You get cool treasures, but then you get to go to that Chocobo Heaven place where you presumably will get pwned initially (like, the first 50 tries) by Ozma.

+ Ending. One of the best, if not THE best, ending of all time. It's not ambiguous like VII's but it's all about the wub. <3

I only got pwned the first five times, and i nearly died the sixth, i lucked out so much.

The ending made me cry, it was so sad but sweet at the same time ^_^

Final Fantasy IX is a game that is very unappreciated among gamers and Final Fantasy fans alike. It is worth the money and time though. The characters and plot are all very well developed. If you can get around somewhat unpleasant graphics you will see a very beautiful art style.

FF isn't just unappreciated, it seems to be forgotten half the time. Thats such a shame too, because it's a beautiful game.

And by unpleasant do you mean the chibi style or the graphics themselves? Because the graphics are much better than VII, which is just painful to look at. If you mean the chibi style, while it may be distasteful to some, IMO if anyone is shallow enough to dislike the game simply because the people aren't 5'6 and wear modern clothes, they shouldn't be a gamer.

And by unpleasant do you mean the chibi style or the graphics themselves? Because the graphics are much better than VII, which is just painful to look at. If you mean the chibi style, while it may be distasteful to some, IMO if anyone is shallow enough to dislike the game simply because the people aren't 5'6 and wear modern clothes, they shouldn't be a gamer.

I meant the actual graphics themselves. Although you're right that the characters are displayed with much more detail, the whole game had a grainy feel to it that I just didn't like. I actually think the art style of the characters, places, and items (Blue Narciss especially) was just amazing. The character models in Final Fantasy VII were much less detailed and clearly inferior to those in Final Fantasy IX. However, the graphic were sharp and nothing looked "fuzzy". Final Fantasy IX tried to display texture and feel... but due to the poor graphical capabilities of the Playstation just simply could not. Whereas Final Fantasy VII fails to give any detail except a variety of color on boxy misshapen people... but it does so with a certain sharpness and clarity. I just prefer one over the other.

EDIT: For an example, just compare the hair...

battle2_large.jpg

VS.

Final20Fantasy20720-20ePSXe20-20cap.png

I meant the actual graphics themselves. Although you're right that the characters are displayed with much more detail, the whole game had a grainy feel to it that I just didn't like. I actually think the art style of the characters, places, and items (Blue Narciss especially) was just amazing. The character models in Final Fantasy VII were much less detailed and clearly inferior to those in Final Fantasy IX. However, the graphic were sharp and nothing looked "fuzzy". Final Fantasy IX tried to display texture and feel... but due to the poor graphical capabilities of the Playstation just simply could not. Whereas Final Fantasy VII fails to give any detail except a variety of color on boxy misshapen people... but it does so with a certain sharpness and clarity. I just prefer one over the other.

EDIT: For an example, just compare the hair...

battle2_large.jpg

VS.

Final20Fantasy20720-20ePSXe20-20cap.png

Much less detail in the VII screencap...but you're right, it's not grainy like IX...it's actually almost a glossy look.

I dont really mind the grainy IX graphics that much except when they mix them in with the gorgeous FMVs, that just makes me want to cry.

HAHAHA! Yea, I know what you mean. You see a beautiful background and here comes a fuzzy Zidane into the picture and it just kills the moment. That happened in Final Fantasy VIII a lot more than in FFIX... but in both it just shot the scene.

Aww man, are you serious, it's in VIII even more? I don't understand why Square does that...i mean it can't be that much more taxing on the system, can it?

FFIX isn't necessarily a love it or hate it game; I'd say it's located roughly in between the two matters of opinion. It's one of those games that you just buy without reason and you either play it a million times, or leave it rusting on your shelf. I personally love the game to death and I consider it "the favorite" pick of the litter in terms of FF. But just because I love it, doesn't mean that you will.

Characters and Plot
The characters in the game can be roughly divided into two groups; the main cast, and the additionals. The four main characters are Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, and Vivi. And the additional cast consists of Freya, Amarant, Eiko, and Quina. So why two separate groups? The main cast that I mentioned sheds a lot more light onto the story. These particular characters are much more interactive and meaningful to the plot. The latter of the groups, as I mentioned, include less full and developed character personalities.
Zidane, the game's main protagonist, is one of the brightest, most sincere, and lovable personalities that I have seen in the series to date. He's very sweet, cunning, heroic, and a huge flirt! FFIX's cheerful protagonist introduced a new swing after VII and VIII's protagonists, Cloud and Squall.

The plot in FFIX was incredible. The story itself revolves predominately around three major aspects: Love, Friendship, and War. Now as I will describe in the romance section below, Love isn't a humongous aspect in this game; it's more of an undertone. Romance will ensue, but it won't moosh up the plot in any way. I'd say that the game's strongest focal point is Friendship. Of course, the game takes place in a turbulent time of war, and friendship is the ultimate key to survival.

Romance
The romance is absolutely genuine. There's not much to say without giving away any good spoilers. Let's just say that the romance is very progressive. The characters develop feelings for one another over time, and in a very sincere way. Not to mention that their relationship does nothing to interfere with the plot, yet all the while, it does have great meaning.

Gameplay and Graphics
This is where the "love it or hate it" mind frame drops in. FFIX did introduce better graphics than the previous game, but...the character designs were done in a chibi style; that's to say...miniature people with big heads. Now, half of the FF population is bent on good graphics and realism, and the other half is bent on perplexity and a great story. This is where the division of tastes incurs.
The gameplay was incredibly easy. There's nothing complicated about this game. In fact, I highly recommend FFIX as an introduction to the series (so long as you don't have a problem with chibi characters). The layout, the design, the navigation, and the battle system are all very typical for an FF title.

The only real downfalls that come with this game is a lack of creativity in terms of physically developing your characters, and the poor "limit break" designs. Each character is already permanently set with their own fighting class; (e.g. mage, fighter, thief...) and there isn't really any way to boost their attributes other than learning silly skills here and there that give you minor advantages in battle.
The limit breaks, actually referred to as "trances" in FFIX, were the biggest letdown in the game. As your character is attacked, and performs attacks in battle, his or her trance gauge will increase. You literally have no solid control over when your character transforms into their trance mode. When it happens, it happens. And if the battle ends before you use it, your trance gauge is immediately emptied; in short, you're screwed.

Overall, I give FFIX a 8/10. The only cons, as I mentioned included the physical development and battle system. Other than that, the game has one of the greatest storylines that I've seen in the series. ^.^

*What? i dont even think this thread shold exist!

*MOST DEFINATELY! every final fantasy fan or any gamer should own this game!

*once you play this game youll be hooked,you cant stop playing and unraveling th plots to come! :)

*as far as im concerned i think final fantasy IX is one of the best in the series! :) everything fits well from the story,graphics,characters,plot,monsters,battle system and the grand adventure itself will pull you in! :)

*in my opinion people should just enjoy the game and stop being so sceptical or negative! :)

i love this game, i think that it has a good storyline and exalent twists. although my favorite is X this one is still pretty good

I didn't really rate IX as highly as VII & VIII but it's still a fun game. Has a nice little story to it and of course my favourite theme, romance lol

The graphics are quite pretty. Although I wasn't keen on the character styles at all at first, they soon grew on me

I didn't find it particulary difficult but it's still a good game and definaetly worth getting

DEFINELTY worth getting!!! I agree that developing the characters I a little too easy but the storyline and overall feel of the interaction between the characters is fantastic. In my opinion the best laid out story in the series. Also the graphic style made a welcome change from FFVII and VIII especially as it used the ps1 to its limit

If you're going to get into FFIX, I'd say play it early. A lot of people play FFVII or FFVIII first and love those games, and then get to FFIX and dislike the beginning due to the look of the characters and how childish they may seem.

For me that wasn't the case as FFIX was my 2nd FF game played and I loved almsot every second of it, but it does have its unique characteristics when compared with other games. I say give it a try, it's definitely worth a play.

Since this topic crops up so much, I figured I'd make a topic and sticky it.

Is this game worth getting? Please post your replies so that people who cannot decide can read this to make their decisions.

I would say that without a doubt this game is worth getting.

Of course, I'm a bit biased here, as it's obviously my favorite one, but in my opinion you should get this game.

The characters are great, and the story is great.

You'll have to get it online though since it's no longer sold in stores.

They still sell it at an F.Y.E store located in a Mall close to me. But that's the only store I ever see new copies of the game being sold in.

BTW, sorry if double posting is against the rules. I forgot to reply all at once, and also the rules wouldn't load for me when I tried clicking the link to them so I can make sure. But from here on out I will try not to double post.

Last edited:
It's a must have game in my opinion, I loved the storyline, the characters were great. I'd say if you've never played a FF game before than maybe start with IX as for me it was one of the easier titles. But I don't see how any FF fan could dislike it, it's great.

For me I loved the game. And I feel that in the long run I definetly got my money worth out of this game. I loved the characters in this game. And it definetly was a challenge for me. Especially at the end of disk 3. Man I don't even wanna go through it again. But I guess it all depends on if you want it or not. The storyline was awesome, and the characters I could really get a feel for. Although I didnt really care for Amarant,Freya, or Quina. I love IX and my friend hates it. I guess its a matter of loving or hating.

Back