Blocked

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
What do you guys do when you get writers block? I'm writing something and it's just hard to determine how I should approach this part of it. I know where it has to end up but getting to that point could be accomplished any number of ways. Should I just write the whole thing and edit it at the end or write a few different versions and compare? I'm trying to think ahead of what I'd cover later on and how I can tie it in... but I'm not really sure of all the details so far.

I always go away and come back to it. It helps to take your mind off of it and most likely something will come to you while you're not thinking about it.

I know that does not make sense but it works for me.

There's just a few main directions to go and I'm not sure which one is the best solution. I guess I could always skip over it.. damn but it's so needed for the end of this part. Dammit... maybe walking away from it is a good idea.

What the major problem is, is that I have to start showing the bad side of something I haven't given much thought to. I put a lot of thought elsewhere but I need to give examples of why this thing is so bad... I can't just say "it's bad". It has to be a series of examples of how devious and evil this thing is. I want to show that it's bad without going "lookie there, that's pretty bad, ain't it". People have to read it and go "shit, that's bad". It has to be a series of things...

What's the nastiest thing you can think of? Maybe I can use imagery and try to tie it in. This is so bad it's like Goldie Hawn in a bikini without a leg wax. And then everyone goes "oh snap, that is bad". hmmmm...

Wtf? lmao. Well...for the writers block I say that if you think on something too much you just blank. So, therefore you need to go eat or get something drink and chill for about 10-20 minutes and come back. Then see what comes to you.

I am quite confused on what exactly you're writing about.

What helps me with writers block?
Usually I just put my project down and return a few days later. I'll make a note of where I left off, leave it somewhere obvious. Then I'll totally drop it, do everything I can to forget about it; I'll find my note, and get back to it. XD

Complicated I guess. XD

Yarly, get your mind off it a bit Aztec, it'll come to you soon.

What you could do away from your work? Gather more ideas, see some shows, read a bit of news, a bit of book, and maybe something will just go off in your head. Before you start writing again, keep thinking about what next?

Oh and, don't go away from it for too long. I went away from a 'novel' I was trying to write one time for about a week, and I totally didn't feel the need to work on it after that. Maybe a day or so max. :monster:

Before now, I've left the piece I was working on for up to a week. For inspiration, I'd refer to pieces of art I constructed during my previous art course and gain reference from those to induce a potential surge of imagination. Games also helped...

I only did this when indulging in fantasy-based text only though. Should I be writing about 'RL', I'd merely drive out for a few hours once in a while, and take a walk. I'd not return to writing for a minimum of two days, though I'd take brief notes of things which come to me.

Back